Monday, April 13, 2009

Allergic to my Rat?

Has anyone heard of being allergic to rats?


I have a roughly one year old girl named Lily and before her I had 2 boys that were rescues named Boyd and Carter. I never had any problems with Boyd or Carter, but when I hold Lily I usually break out in a mild itchy rash on my arms. I hot bath or benadryl usually gets rid of it, but Ive never had this problem before.





It seems to be only when I let her crawl on me, not when I just pet her. I never had problems with Boyd or Carter, but they were rather shy and I rarely held them for long.


At first I thought maybe she had fleas or mites (Im allergic to fleas and get a similar rash from them) but she has absolutely no sign of either. No dirt, no itching, so I figure it is me.





Is this common, or do I need to maybe consider something else? And anyone know what I could be allergic to? Maybe her fur or dander or urine or what?

Allergic to my Rat?
It%26#039;s pretty common to be allergic to rats. I have had rats in the past (only one at a time) and never had any problems. However, once I got a rat and she had babies, so I ended up with 8 rats. I was pretty allergic to them, especially when they crawled on me. My doctor wrote me a prescription for Zyrtec, which worked pretty well. You might want to consider getting a prescription allergy medication.





My mom told me that scientists that study rats almost always %26quot;end up%26quot; being allergic to them. They don%26#039;t always start out allergic to rats, but apparently if you%26#039;re around them long enough, you are likely to develop an allergy.





I don%26#039;t know if it%26#039;s their dander or their urine or anything else, but it seems like Lily%26#039;s scratches are making your allergies worse. You should wear a long sleeved shirt when you%26#039;re playing with her, so that she doesn%26#039;t scratch you as much. That might help. Also, wash your hands when you%26#039;re done playing with her. That way you won%26#039;t rub your eyes or something and get rat allergens in your eyes. (I once got an infection by doing that. Whoops!)





Good luck!
Reply:No, it happens to me. Their lil nails penatrate in your arms are so small you can%26#039;t even feel them but it irritates your skin. Normal.





Home Schooled Rat Freak



beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment